Serendipity Set Updated

I went ahead and since I’ve been doing new Maymont shots, added them in photo edit form to The Serendipity Set gallery. There’s 17 or 18 now (I think I had 18 unique edits but two were of the same exposure some how, so the duplicate was removed). The set is basically the Japanese Gardens of Maymont Park in RVA done in high key, soft focus, and other white light faded effects (the shots should look familiar).

It’s expanded now anyway. Click the link if you want to check out the entire gallery, or look below for a few of the new ones:

Assorted Maymont Shots

Taken in the spring of…I don’t know when. Sometimes I’ll fill an SD card and forget about it or forget to finish touching them up and stumble on it a few years later (like with these).

Anyway, that was back before like sickness was on parade, you know? I wish I was referring to coronavirus.

Enjoy the photos, and stay safe if you can, I guess. I haven’t felt safe in America in about eight or nine years now, so it’s nothing new to me, but I understand it’s scary when it’s finally in your face so try not to lose your minds out there, I guess.

Festival Of Lights, Photo Edit 2 (Before and After, not in that order)

Above is the work I wanted to display, the final image. In the name of doing something a little differently, I’m going to display the image I came up with and the one, below, that I started with.

Way more of my exposures from the other night came out like this than I’d care to admit, but again, handheld photography in really low light without my glasses on and reliant totally on autofocus and luck yields results like this more often than not:

And here’s the original negative, which is basically not fixable no matter how much ordinary touching up you do to it.

Basically it’s a crummy exposure all around even if the composition can be worked with, and the only way to “fix” it was to play with the lighting and colors and special effects and ultimately to use the oil paint filter to smear the hell out of areas that were washed out with too much bright light and saturation. I started by editing out the orbs in the sky and well I forget what I did after- mostly Camera RAW filter work and stuff in Color Efex Pro back and forth. When I got a fiery look I liked I started amping that and the final result can be seen. I’ll post a two image gallery below so you can go back and forth without scrolling.

Anyway it’s a thing I do sometimes with good compositions and bad exposures (turn them into digital paintings of sorts with effects).